Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Social Network to Encourage Reading

In a previous posting I mentioned how we wanted our Esperanza educators to be friends on "Goodreads." Today I read an article "How Social Networks Might Change the Way We Read Books" by Horla Varlan that reinforces why this is a wise request.

The author says that once we know how to read, we're supposed to read silently and often alone. Even when we read alone, though, we often feel a compulsion to share what we are reading with others. I know. While I am reading a book I often say to my husband, "Listen to this" and/or I encourage him to read the book, too.

Varlan goes on to say the social element of reading can add depth to the understanding of what's being read, just as book clubs do. Goodreads is one social network that gives us a place to keep track of what we are reading, keep track of what others are reading, and talk about the books we are reading. This is not only a great opportunity for Esperanza educators to do amongst themselves but they can also use the site with their classes where students can do the same thing.

No comments: