Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Be Inspired By the Best

Some time ago I read a letter (a "letter to the editor" I believe) written by some teacher who said that she was offended by all the attention given to educators like Erin Gruwell and Jaime Escalante. She said that by recognizing them and holding them as role models undermined her as a good teacher because she could never be like them. This teacher's comments disturbed me.

I just finished reading this morning Ron Clark's book The End of Molasses Classes. Even though I may not ever be a Ron Clark, and I don't even agree with all of his ideas, what a loss it would be to use these as excuses to not read his inspiring book and implementing what I can. Ron Clark along with other educators such as Marva Collins, Erin Gruwell, Salome Thomas-El, Jaime Escalante, etc. have inspired me to raise the bar and reach a little higher. I'm a better educator for having learned from them.

If we are going to give our Esperanza scholars the best education I want our educators to learn from the best and be inspired.

No comments: