Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Lessons From Adam Bede



Last night we watched this movie version (library DVD) of the book Adam Bede by George Eliot.  I also checked out the book so I can also read the story.  Although this story is not one that we will introduce to elementary Esperanza scholars it is a reminder that even though it may be hard to get young people hooked into classics it's still important to expose our scholars to them.  They teach principles that are timeless.

Watching this story also reminded of the importance of narrow reading--reading a number of books by the same author and/or reading a number of books on the same topic.  I so enjoyed this story I want to read (and in some cases, reread) more of the books by George Eliot. 

The reason we watched this movie was because the book was mentioned a number of times in the biography of Van Gogh that I have been reading.  This is something else that reading does--it leads to more reading as interest is piqued in a certain topic. 

No comments: