Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Friday, October 21, 2011

John Brown's Passion

John Brown: His Fight for Freedom


Yesterday I read the children's book John Brown His Fight for Freedom by John Hendrix--a biography of John Brown.   Brown's decision to wage war on slavery in America made him an outlaw and ultimately cost him his life.  While some considered him a hero others considered him a crazy man.  I like what the author said of him in the "Author's Note":  "We should remember John Brown because he was not afraid to fight for the freedom of an oppressed people to which he did not belong...Ultimately, John Brown's contribution was not freedom itself, but an unbridled vision of conviction."  

The author also quoted Frederick Douglass--a quote that touched me: " 'His zeal in the cause of my race was greater than mine.  I could live for my the slave, but he could die for him.' "

I would hope that we could have John Brown's passion (although bridled a little more) as we strive to make Esperanza a school that meets the needs of our Esperanza scholars. 

 

No comments: