Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Horatius Cocles


Horatius Cocles, a 1586 engraving by Hendrick Goltzius

This morning I read the poem Horatius by Thomas Babington Macaulay.  I didn't know anything about the story upon which this poem was based so I "googled" Horatius which led me to all kinds of exciting information.

The legend of Horatius is used as an example of the men who have "devoted themselves to inevitable death ... to save the lives of other citizens. ... he threw himself into the river with his armor, and there lost his life as he had designed." Though Horatius did not perish in the river, the disability he suffered (and subsequent honorable discharge from the army) ended the life he had previously pursued.The phrase 'Romans on the Bridge' is used to refer to a valiant defence against impossible odds.

Not only did I find this information that was inspiring about how one committed life can make a difference but I also discovered some books by James Baldwin for young people about other famous stories and heroic people.  Those books are now on my Amazon wishlist.  Not only do I want to read them but I also want our Esperanza scholars to read them. 

No comments: