Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Shaping Versus Grading

Periodically I receive a free book (more like a booklet) from Price Pritchett. Yesterday I received one called Business As Unusual. I love these booklets because so much wisdom is packed into short one page chapters. One of the chapters I particularly liked in this booklet was titled "Creating a supportive work environment." Pritchett mentioned something I had never considered. He said, "So concentrate on shaping employees' behavior, instead of grading people's behavior. Be a coach, not a judge or umpire."
He goes onto say that doing this "creates an atmosphere where people flourish, and where change can take root." I would add that this also fits right into our commitment to create an inviting environment.

No comments: