Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Stepping Out of a Comfort Zone

I had two experiences yesterday that reminded me how valuable it is to stretch and step out of a comfort zone. First, I finished reading Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. Fantasy is not one of my favorite genres so I had resisted reading this book. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it! It changed my attitude about fantasy books, and I will probably read the rest of the series.

The second experience was having lunch with a dear friend and former DIA colleague, Angela Fanjul, at O' Falafel which is a Mediterranean restaurant. I had never been to this restaurant (although it was only a block away from my house!) and almost everything on the menu was foreign to me so finally Angela and I decided to share an 8 choice sampler. What a delight! I found delicious foods that were unknown to me before this experience.

Not only do we need to encourage our Esperanza scholars to stretch outside of their comfort zones but we as educators need to set the example.

No comments: