Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Benefits of Membership in Professional Organizations

I recently joined ASCD (formerly Assn. of Supervisory and Curriculum Development). A couple of days ago I received the May 2011 edition of its publication, Educational Leadership. The theme of this edition is school, family, and community partnerships. The articles were excellent! The timing couldn't have been better since Carmen Thompson--one of our Esperanza Board members-- and I are going to be meeting soon about this very topic for Esperanza.

As I ponder on this whole experience a few things come to mind. First, just like any other profession, it is important for our Esperanza educators to belong to professional organizations and read their literature...and even attend conferences and participate in the organization when feasible. It helps us stay on top of what is happening in our profession. We wouldn't want to go to a doctor, dentist, lawyer, etc. who wasn't aware of the latest research. Second, I am amazed that when we have a focused goal how many serendipitous experiences occur. If we didn't have an Esperanza focused goal to be a Community Learning School I'm not sure this recent publication would have caught my attention--at least, not to the degree it did. Third, it is important to share what we learn so we will remember it better. Therefore, not only will Carmen and I be discussing this but I'll make copies of 3 articles from the publication (the allowable amount) to give to our future Esperanza educators. Fourth, a professional publication such as this can lead to more people, books, and other resources that can benefit us.

Obviously educators are extremely busy but it is well worth it to glean from professional organizations.

No comments: