Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Name Calling Is Unacceptable

If you were like me your mother probably taught you the phrase, "Sticks and bones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."  Although I know my mother was well meaning this phrase is not true.  Names do hurt.  In an inviting school setting calling others names is unacceptable. 

Incident
by Countée Cullen

Once riding in old Baltimore,
Heart-filled, head-filled with glee,
I saw a Baltimorean
Keep looking straight at me.
Now I was eight and very small,
And he was no whit bigger,
And so I smiled, but he poked out
His tongue, and called me, "Nigger."
I saw the whole of Baltimore
From May until December;
Of all the things that happened there
That's all that I remember.

No comments: