Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Heart of a Child

An excerpt from
Heart of a Teacher
by Paula J. Fox
A class of three and four-year-olds
not yet in kindergarten
but one of them taught me a lesson
that won't soon be forgotten

I was teaching them how to show love to each other
and what it means to be kind
a "hands-on-craft" was part of the lesson
to impress it on each little mind

As they wiggled and bounced around in their seats
they weren't listening very well.
I wondered if they even heard a word
of what I was trying to tell.




For the craft, each child was to make a card
as a gift for someone they love.
to surprise them with an act of kindness
in a way they'd never think of

I noticed one child who hurried the task
quickly scribbling to finish his card
he sometimes made such a mess of things
and teaching him could be hard

He knew how to push every boundary
and when things didn't go his way
he'd frequently have a meltdown
and ruin everybody's day.

He finished his card before the rest
and shoved it in my hand
I figured he didn't have a clue
what I wanted him to understand

Not feeling very kind-hearted myself
I reminded him...once more
that giving it to someone he loved would be kind
and that's what it was for

With a twinkle in his eye he smiled and said:
"I know!"...I'm giving it to You!"
it took me a moment to comprehend
then I realized...that he knew!

He knew exactly what he was doing
he had understood every part
more than just following directions
he was giving me a gift from his heart!

My heart exploded with love for this child
and I felt a wave of shame
he knew more about kindness than I did
I had just been playing the game

It's so easy to judge by the outside behavior
whether rules are followed or broken
but the heart of the child is what matters
feelings and words unspoken

No wonder God loves little children so much
with their hearts so fresh and pure
they can teach us a thing or two about love
they know what it is, for sure!

No comments: