Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Stepping Stones or Stumbling Blocks

I listened this morning to the BYU devotional given by Elder Steven Snow on 9-11-12.  He started his speech by giving this account of Francis Webster who said the following while sitting in a Sunday School class where members of the class were criticizing church leaders for allowing this handcart company to even start the trek. 
 
 
 
 
"I ask you to stop this criticism. You are discussing a matter you

know nothing about. Cold historic facts mean nothing here for they

give no proper interpretation of the questions involved. Mistake to send

the Hand Cart Company out so late in the season? Yes. But I was in that

Company and my wife was in it. . . . I have looked back many times to see

who was pushing my cart but my eyes saw no one. I knew then that the

Angels of God were there.

Was I sorry that I chose to come by hand cart? No. Neither then

nor any minute of my life since. The price we paid to become acquainted

with God was a privilege to pay and I am thankful that I was privileged

to come in the Martin Hand Cart Company."
 
Elder Snow went on to discuss how we can use the obstacles in our lives as stepping stones or stumbling blocks.  He also admonished that the following stumbling blocks be avoided:  1) Pride, 2) Negativity and Pessimism, and 3) Modern technology and social media addiction. 


 

No comments: