Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

"Uneasy Lies the Head That Wears the Crown"

Some great words of William Shakespeare are giving me some food for thought this morning: "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown." (King Henry IV, Part II, act 3, scene 1, line 31)

Needless to say, I have not been declared a queen with a literal crown but as the leader of Esperanza's founding group I figuratively feel the weight of a leader's crown. President Gordon B. Hinckley mentioned these same Shakespeare's words in a speech he gave at BYU on November 4, 1969 titled The Loneliness of Leadership. There are numerous times "the crown" of leadership has caused me to experience deep loneliness. Therefore, this talk by Pres. Hinckley found at http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=1131 has given me great solace.

In the Bible Moses was feeling the heavy weight of his leadership responsibilities when his father-in-law gave him some wise advice about delegation. (Exodus 18) Jethro counseled Moses that he would surely wear away and all the people with him unless he learned to delegate because he was unable to do the work alone. As I learn to improve my delegation skills there are also some things others can do to help lift the load:




  • Apply the principles from the story A Message to Garcia


  • Remember the phrase--"Do more, better, and before expected"-- when asked to do something


  • When something is not completed at the requested time, say when it will be done rather than give an excuse


It will take the work of many people to make Esperanza an exceptional school. I, like Moses in Exodus 17:11-12, am so appreciative of the times those around me have stood beside me and held up my hands when they were heavy so that our work can go forward.





Disclaimer: Although I have a made references to the Bible and to an LDS (Latter-Day Saint) prophet in this BLOG posting it is not my intention to mix church and state. I only use these references because they so perfectly represent the points I am wanting to make.

No comments: