Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lesson Reminder From an Abscess Tooth

On Monday I was suffering from excruciating pain which I later found out was caused by an abscess tooth. Pain relievers such as aspirin and Tylenol weren't helping. The pain relieving effects of Ibuprofen only lasted for a few hours. Even though I was still able to complete some important work in spite of the pain I was suffering, I didn't produce my best work because my focus was on the pain more than the work.

This experience taught me a very important reminder as to why we want to make Esperanza Elementary a Community Learning School. Because we are specifically targeting low socioeconomic students toothaches will not be an unusual occurrence... and it is difficult for students who are suffering with a toothache to concentrate on doing their best schoolwork.

In order for our students to do their best work we need to address all the issues that could interfere with their learning. For this reason, we want to have professionals such as dentists make regular visits to our school to provide pro bono services for our students whose families can't afford dental care for their children.

No comments: