Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Monday, December 3, 2012

The Reading Promise

 
 
 
I just finished reading this book.  It is WONDERFUL!!!   I highly recommend that all our Esperanza stakeholders read it and check out the website:  http://makeareadingpromise.com/   A great interview with the author and her father can be found at  
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7365537n

The author has this promise at the end of her book that would be great to invite every Esperanza stakeholder to sign. 

 
The Reading Promise
 
I, _______________________________, promise to read.
I promise to read on my own, in print or on a screen, wherever books appear.  I promise to visit fictional worlds and gain new perspectives--to keep an open mind about books, even when the cover is unappealing and the author is unfamiliar.  I promise to laugh out loud (especially in public) when the chapter amuses me, and to sob uncontrollably on my bed for hours at a time when my favorite characters die.  I promise to look up words when I don't know them, and cities when I can't locate them, and people when I can't remember them.  I promise to lose track of time.
 
I promise to read with __________________________ , if not every night, then whenever I can.  I promise to remember that this person is more than my son, daughter, mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, cousin, landlord, or dog walker; he or she has a mind that, like mine, loves to be used and challenged.  I promise to share books however it suits us best, whether we choose to read to each other or simply get together for discussions and homemade baked goods.  I promise to appreciate the time we spend together and the literature we meet, even when I am stressed or tired or sunburned (or an awful combination of the three), because books are better when they're shared.  I promise to do my best to meet our goal, whether that goal is to read for ten thousand nights or simply to get to know each other better.  I promise never to give up on reading, nor let us give up on each other, whether we meet our goal or not.
 
I promise to support reading in my community of ____________________ however I can, and everywhere else for that matter.  I promise to spread the word about words, whether it's volunteering at my local library or just recommending good books to friends.  I promise to speak out if reading is cut from the school curriculum, and to fight for books whenever their value is challenged.  I promise to tell everyone I know how reading calms me down, riles me up, makes me think, or helps me get to sleep at night.  I promise to read, and read to someone, as long as human thought is still valued and there are still words to be shared.
 
I promise to be there for books, because I know they will always be there for me.
 
Signed_________________________
Date___________________________
 
 
The author also mentions the episode of Twilight Zone---"The Obsolete Man"--that is definitely a worthwhile watch.  The script can be found here:  http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2289136/posts  The episode can also be found on YouTube. 



No comments: