Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Power of Reflection

I recently read the book 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by John C. Maxwell.  I am now reading it again--a chapter each week.  This week's chapter is "The Law of Reflection." 

Peter F. Drucker said, "Follow effective action with quiet reflection.  From the quiet reflection will come even more effective action." 

Maxwell notes that studying the lives of great people will reveal that they speak a considerable amount of time alone--thinking/reflecting.  Therefore, I am going to encourage each Esperanza staff person to keep a reflective/growth journal. 

Maxwell suggests that good questions lead to better answers.  Some possible questions:
  • Am I growing daily?
  • What am I doing daily to grow?
  • How am I growing?
  • What are the roadblocks that are keeping me from growing?
  • What were the potential learning moments I experienced today, and did I seize them?
  • Am I passing on to someone what I am learning?
It would be beneficial to write these questions and answers in one's reflective/growth journal.

It's important to schedule time to pause and reflect.  Maxwell suggests the following:
  1. Every day--10-30 minutes
  2. Every week--an hour or two
  3. Several times a year--half a day
  4. Annually--as little as a day or as much as a week
This type of reflection turns experience into insight. 

No comments: