Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Monday, November 26, 2012

The Love of Poetry

I finished reading The 20th Century Children Poetry Treasury selected by Jack Prelutsky.  The following are some of my favorite poems from the book (except the one by Bruce Lansky) that are great poems to share with our Esperanza scholars. 

The Dream Keeper

Bring me all your dreams,
You dreamers,
Bring me all your
Heart melodies
That I may wrap them
In a blue cloud-cloth
Away from the too-rough fingers
Of the world.
               ----Langston Hughes   

September

I already know where Africa is
and I already know how to
count to ten and
I went to school every day last year,
why do I have to go again?
              ----Lucille Clifton      

Children's Books by Lucille Clifton
  • Three Wishes (Doubleday)
  • The Boy Who Didn't Believe In Spring (Penguin)
  • The Lucky Stone. Delacorte Press. 1979. ISBN 978-0-440-05122-0.; Reprint Yearling Books, ISBN 978-0-307-53795-9
  • The Times They Used To Be (Henry Holth & Co)
  • All Us Come Cross the Water ( Henry Holth & Co)
  • My Friend Jacob (Dutton)
  • Amifika (Dutton)
  • Sonora the Beautiful (Dutton)
  • The Black B C's (Dutton)
  • The Palm of My Heart: Poetry by African American Children. Introduction by Lucille Clifton (San Val)


Robert, Who Is Often
A Stranger to Himself

Do you ever look in the looking-glass
And see a stranger there?
A child you know and do not know,
Wearing what you wear?
                ----Gwendolyn Brooks      





I'm glad to say my homework's done.
I finished it last night.
I've got it right here in this box.
It's not a pretty sight.
My dog chewed up my homework.
He slobbered on it, too.
So now my homework's ripped to shreds
and full of slimy goo.

It isn't much to look at,
but I brought it anyway.
I'm going to dump it on your desk
if I don't get an A.
              ----Bruce Lansky

Great website:  http://www.poetryteachers.com/schoolpoems/mydog.html

The Gentle Cow



The gentle cow is good and kind.
All day she chews with quiet mind.
She eats and eats the green, green grass.
And then I drink it in a glass.
              ----Mary Morris Duane

Tent

My skin is like
A canvas tent
That's stretched
From bone to bone;
It's cut to measure
Just for me,
I wonder where
It's sewn?
And why can't I
Unzip the front
And roam outside,
Then in?
But here I stay
Each night, each day,
Alone,
Within my skin.
         ----Deborah Chandra

Rules

Do not jump on ancient uncles.
                *
Do not yell at average mice.
                *
Do not wear a broom to breakfast.
                *
Do not ask a snake's advice.
                *
Do not bathe in chocolate pudding.
                *
Do not talk to bearded bears.
                *
Do not smoke cigars on sofas.
                *
Do not dance on velvet chairs.
                *
Do not take a whale to visit
Russe's mother's cousin's yacht.
               *
And whatever else you do do
It is better you
Do not.
           ----Karla Kuskin

No comments: