Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Poetry Joys

Sharing poetry with children--both in English and Spanish--can not only entertain them, but also enrich their language skills...and their lives.

I read one from Jack Prelutsky that I thought was fun.

The New Kid on the Block

There's a new kid on the block,
and boy, that is tough,
that new kid punches hard,
that new kid plays real rough,
that new kid's big and strong,
with muscles everywhere,
that new kid tweaked my nose,
that new kid pulled my hair.

That new kid likes to fight,
and picks on all the guys,
that new kid scares me some,
(that new kid's twice my size),
that new kid stomped my toes,
that new kid swiped my ball,
that new kid's really bad,
I don't care for her at all.

This poem is especially fun because of the surprise ending!

No comments: