Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Narrow Reading Is Valuable

I have been thinking about how valuable narrow reading is--whether it is reading the same book numerous times, reading a number of books by the same author, and/or reading a number of books about the same topic.

I recently reread Middlemarch by George Eliot.  Then we watched the DVD--all 7 hours of it!  Then yesterday I finished reading the Middlemarch Cliff Notes.  Every experience with this book gave me new insights that I would have missed if I had just said, "I read that book once.  I have also been reading a number of books by George Eliot even those I read quite some time ago.  Even though I knew some of the stories revisiting them enriched me. 

No comments: