Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Go Make Your Bed!

My inspiring friend, Jodie Palmer, shared this on FB. 

bed making photo: Cinderella Making The Bed tumblr_mj69gfwqHc1rz8rkho2_250.gif


TRUE STORY: There was a grandmother who said to her granddaughters, "Which of you knows how to make her bed?" They all, of course, raised their hands. Then she said the most profound thing I think I've ever heard. "Yes, any ninny can make her bed, but which of you knows how to make herself make her bed?" I've been pondering on this for the last year. It describes my problem perfectly. I don't know how to make myself make my bed. In other words, make yourself do the thing you should even when you don't feel like it. Teaching ourselves to do the right thing even when we don't feel like it is simply a skill of practice. Assign yourself a goal (specific and measurable), make an accountability chart (a piece of paper with 28 boxes taped to your fridge), and determine that you are going to accomplish that goal for 28 days straight. If you fail, then start over and try again (give thanks that you can start over every time you fail). Keep practicing this with new goals--28 days.The day will come when "making yourself make your bed" will actually become a matter of life or death, slavery or freedom, joy or misery. Choose life, freedom and joy! Go make your bed!

No comments: