Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Insights from Lincoln


Lincoln on Leadership - Collectors Edition Winter 2013 Civil War Times editors


I love serendipitous experiences!  Yesterday when I met with Steve Winitzky, a board member, and Jeff Biesinger, our facility consultant at Barnes and Noble to discuss some Esperanza site issues, a mangazine caught my eye.  It was a collector's edition that was titled "Lincoln on Leadership."  Because I love to learn about and from Lincoln's example, I wanted to buy it.  Yet, $10 for a magazine seemed a little outrageous.  Therefore, I decided to wait until after Steve, Jeff, and I finished to make a decision.  My husband had given me a B&N gift card for Christmas, so I decided to use that, rationalizing that it was a gift.  :)   What a wonderful "gift" it turned out to be.  It contains 41 powerful insights from Lincoln's speeches, telegrams, letters, memos, and orders.  Plus, it has some great photos and pictures that I had never seen.  I read the whole magazine in-between teacher interviews and after I got home.  Just couldn't put it down!

The insights:
  • Fight the good fight
  • Try honey before vinegar
  • Accept the people's will
  • Work hard, then work harder
  • Respect the law
  • Call out injustice
  • Believe in yourself
  • Seek self-improvement
  • Keep principles dear
  • Gain popular support
  • Reject tyranny
  • Commit to freedom for all
  • Keep your eye on the prize
  • Never give up
  • Stay committed
  • Beware of haste
  • Be strategic
  • Think it through first
  • Know who your friends are
  • Show compassion
  • Tell it like it is
  • Use sarcasm politely
  • Think out of the box
  • Take charge
  • Heal their wounds
  • Never abandon your principles
  • Always do the right thing
  • Know where you stand
  • Be true to your values
  • Accept lessons as they come
  • Make your demands clear
  • Make your argument personal
  • Forgive your enemies

No comments: