Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Honesty--An Esperanza Attribute

I was reading this morning in the book Multiplication Is for White People by Lisa Delpit about a school that had a creed for its students that they repeated every morning.  We could do something similar at Esperanza connecting the creed to the 9 character attributes of Esperanza.  Honesty/Integrity ought to be one of these character attributes.

While listening to the BYU Devotional speech this morning given by Neil L. Andersen in September 2011 on honesty he quoted part of the following poem by Edgar Guest about the need to be honest--even when no one is looking. 

Myself


by Edgar Guest

blueline.gif (271 bytes)

I have to live with myself and so I want to be fit for myself to know.
I want to be able as days go by
Always to look myself in the eye.

I don't want to stand with the setting sun
And hate myself for the things I've done.
I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
A lot of secrets about myself
And fool myself as I come and go
Into thinking that nobody else will know
The kind of person I really am.
I don't want to dress up myself in sham.

I want to go out with my head erect.
I want to deserve all others' respect.
But here in the struggle for fame and wealth
I want to be able to like myself.
I don't want to look at myself and know
That I'm bluster and bluff, an empty show.

I could never hide myself from me.
I see what others may never see.
I know what others may never know.
I never can fool myself, and so
Whatever happens, I want to be
Self-respecting and conscience-free.

No comments: