Welcome To Esperanza Elementary Blog

I want to give you a special welcome to our Esperanza Elementary blog as we take our journey to found the school of our dreams. I invite you to visit us often and offer any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, questions, comments, etc. you might have.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Punctuality


Many years ago I heard a quote that had a profound effect on me--"If you are 10 minutes early, you are 5 minutes late."  Since that time I have made an effort to be on time (even early) for appointments.  Even though I have not always been successful with this goal, I've been amazed at the difference it makes when I am.  Below are some thoughts about the importance of this trait. 
 
Punctuality

By Sterling W. Sill — Excerpts from Leadership

 

This perfectly wonderful habit called punctuality can be a most valuable part of character.  It is a quality that is closely related to dependability and faithfulness and determination.

George Washington once made an appointment to buy a span of horses at three o’clock.  The would be seller showed up at 3:01.  But General Washington was no longer interested in the span of horses nor the man who was not faithful to his word. President Washington had a habit of inviting new members of Congress to dine with him.  Occasionally someone would arrive late and be mortified to find the President eating.  Washing once said, “My cook never asks if the guests have arrived, but only if the hour has arrived.” 

The [univerise itself] has a billion planets whirling through space in different directions and at different speeds, but each one is exactly on time.  If one planet were a half minute late there might be very serious consequences. 
Punctuality is not only important for itself alone, but it is also important for what it is a sign of.  Lack of punctuality shows lack of consideration for others. 

Lord Nelson said, “I have always been a quarter of an hour before my time, and it has made a man of me.” 

Punctuality is the father of many wonderful traits and abilities.  It is one of the greatest of all virtues.  To do our duty when it should be done is one of the cardinal virtues of leadership. 

 

 

 

No comments: